Thursday, June 11, 2009

the lowpoly past - part I - quake days

From early on I enjoyed watching movies a lot, especially the technical effects have always fascinated me. Seeing Star Wars for the first time, I was amazed at how convincing the scenery was set; the world seemed so real. After watching the Terminator, Abyss and other early CGI movies, this new technique of special effects got my attention.Finally, Jurassic Park in 1993, assured me that I want to do that in future, I want to create my own dinosaurs and bring my own worlds to life... This is why I got into 3D-modelling and animation.

CGI knows almost no limits, the creative mind can fulfill its dreams to all extents. This fascinated me, and still does. I enjoyed playing with LEGO's a lot, and once I moved from the floor to a computer desk, it was finally possible to bring things to life on the screen. With a 3D studio r2 dos student version I made my first steps in 3d. Having no internet and no tutorials I had to bite thru the complexity of this program myself. Once I got the hang of it, I wanted to do big stuff immediately, but the projects I set for myself were always too big, or too time consuming; I preferred playing games a lot more. Another reason was that I didn't really want to model all the things necessary, I wanted to animate it... so no project was finished, but I gained some experience on timing, camera movement, etc...

Later on I united my love for 3d with my love for computer games. After getting into the internet I searched for better software, tutorials and of course games. The Quake2 modification community caught my attention. There I found other young developers who create their own games, and of course need 3d art aswell, models of weapons, characters... My first job was being a modeller for Terror Quake 2 around late 1998. After the team was restructured I also took over the job as animator. Since this team, which later changed name to TeamHavoc, absorbed me I have been working on mods for quite some time. I was lead animator for a Quake3 mod, called Urban Terror. Thru this team's skill and good connections to id software, I managed to get a license of 3dsmax at quakecon 2000, thanks again to my teammates from Silicon Ice Development, to id software and to discreet for giving away some copies to young developers.

Here is some work for urbanterror (mostly animations, but also some weapon models):








With starting my studies of "computational visualistics" at the Otto-von-Guericke University of Magdeburg in 2002 I left the development team of urbanterror before beta3 release and got more into coding myself.